T.E.B.H. on instagram

Friday, January 1, 2010

2009

Was god awful for me. Fuck 2009. What's more, it infuriates me when I say "I'm so glad to have this year behind me, and am ready to start a new chapter in my life." only for the schmuck I'm talking to to say "Man I LOOOOOVED 2009, it was great. What are you talking about?"

Well, lets go with music for a start(since this IS a music blog) My favorite records that came out this year were by and large, hardcore records and maybe one ska album, and one pop-punk albums. When you think of the heyday for the latter two genres in America, both were incredibly popular in the 90's, when we weren't stuck in a country that has never been conquered by an occupying force, when there was a bull market, and our president was banging all the fine(and not so fine) ladies. Now we have a disappointment of a president, a public so polarized, i see no hope for reconcilement or bipartisanship, the economy still teeters on the brink of collapse, and life generally sucks. Lots to be angry about these days, and I feel hardcore thrives in that kind of climate

So what are my 2009 picks?

Dolcim - Guillotine Rides
Screamo has really gotten interesting in the last few years. Its gone from the Jerome's Dream and In/Humanity stuff to these big epic songs full of crescendos, and honestly, its pretty amazing and I love it. Dolcim play Envy style screamo, and the hints of their Cease Upon the Capitol heritage are also evident from time to time. Honestly, these guys will probably on 2010's list when the new album drops. heard some demos, and discussed the ideas fueling the new record and damn... it's gonna rock.

Coke Bust - Lines in the Sand
Best straight edge hardcore album of the year. These guys have gotten all kinds of good reviews, and its because they're keeping it real, and not totally aping the whole Ceremony/Black Flag thing that's big now, and they aren't trying to sound like Have Heart and Bane, which while I love all those bands except have heart, its nice to see some bands not trying to sound like them for once. Think Youth Crew and Noisy Hardcore crossover. Keep watching these guys

Aggrolites - IV
The best ska album of the year. Traditional ska/rocksteady played with soul, but not like soul(unlike every traditional ska band at the moment) The Soul/Ska fussion stuff is getting played outm but these guys go back to basics.

Moutheater- Ornament
Melvins style grunge. Pretty evil and proves that not all modern grunge has lost its teeth and power.

Lion Of Judah- Number-rology
LoJ are back with this 3 song EP. All more post hardcore than the Universal Peace album. This one leans very much on the Dischord sound of the mid-late 80's.

Give- Self Titled
These guys came outta no where. Post hardcore ala early 90's Fugazi with some southern rock tossed in for good measure. These guys play one of the best live shows I've seen. Thrashing around, wailing on guitars so they have to be retuned every other songs. Thought that kind of sloppiness coupled with somehow tight and in control musicianship died in the 90's

Rouge Nations- Be Your Own Rouge Nation
These guys play straight ahead punk rock ala TSOL, Dead Kennedy's and such like. Smart lyrics, too

A Place to Burry Strangers- Exploding Head
If Devo and Black Reble Motorcycle Club made hot monkey love, this would would be their hot monkey love child.

Teenage Bottle Rocket - They Came From the Shadows
Pop Punk heavyweights return with a new album that got a little too Fat Wreck-ish at times. Still solid and about the only really good pop-punk album to drop this year, IMO.

La Roux - S/T
These synth pop newcomers are making some waves in that scene. Totally chanels the best of 80's synthpop

Cursive- Mama, I'm Swollen
Cursive returns to a sound and concept more reminiscent of Domestica

Pissed Jeans - King of Jeans
I say these guys are the kings of modern noise rock in the vein of Flipper or Jesus Lizard
As We Let Go- Above the Clouds
Japanese Hardcore. Think more like Champion or Bane and less like Gauze or Gizm

Brainwreck - Power On
Out of all the noisy hardcore bands that have cropped up in Nashville, these fellows are the best.

In Defence - Into the Sewer
Party thrash inspired hardcore from the twin cities. Lighthearted, but know when to get serious

STAPH - Keys
Emo. Real emo. 90's ish stuff with a lot better production.









---------------demos--------------
Nationale- 2 song demo tape
90's emo sylings with a female singer. RIP
Trenchfoot- Not Smiling tour cassette
Pop punk not unlike a really simplified and less depressed Off With Their Heads
Cannomen- Demo Vol. 2
Garage inspired Hardcore Punk hearkening back to 80's stuff.
Leach - demo CDr
Nashville Hardcore vetrans playing Weezer style power pop
Guide - demo CD-r
Murfreesboro TN hardcore with some Youth Crew vibes.



That's the list. I don't think I have to justify these. they're all amazing. I make these lists by basically sitting and writing the first things that come to mind. I figure if I remember them when I think about stuff I liked, they must be the best I heard that year. I also only put stuff I've actually listened to on the list. I know there are lots of other great records that dropped this year, but i didn't hear 'em. I own some I know would be on the list and I haven't played them yet.





No comments:

Post a Comment