T.E.B.H. on instagram

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Dolcim- Demo CD-R


Dolcim is actually a newish band from my home town. Comprised of my best friend's old childhood neighbor, ex- Cease Upon the Capitol members and an ex- I, Mammoth member, Dolcim is in many ways CUTC's successor spiritually and some what sonically. I got to see them play their first show with Legacies, Monolith, and a really cool guy from Chicago doing a one man ambient experimental thing. Dolcim actually played last that night and half way through their first song blew out a guitar amp. Not to be dissuaded, the guys from Monolith unpacked and loaned a head unit. I haven't seen a band play with that intensity in a good while.

But back to the music. what we have here is the band's 4 song demo handed out at the show. The songs all are strong and I remember when I first heard them my heart was all "yesss...". I can't put my finger on why though. Maybe its hometown pride. There's a lot of melody in there with out being the twinkly guitars I grew up hearing. Don't get me wrong, there are twinkly guitars, but they don't come out that often. As with a lot of screamo, the vocals really serve more as instruments, and I honestly have never even looked at the lyrics so your guess is as good as mine.

Basically, if you like CUTC, you'll like Dolcim. Also true for fans of Envy. In fact, "Noah's Ark Was an Orgy" sounds like an Envy song with more chord changes.


The CD-R is now available from React with Protest with extra packaging and on cassette from Utarid Tapes. Or you can contact the band via Myspace and they'll mail ya one post paid. They have an LP coming out before long; the Myspace has some rough cuts from that. Also, they'll be touring Europe in summer '09.


Dolcim- Demo, Summer 2008
self release

No comments:

Post a Comment